An ERA-NET on maritime technologies (MARTEC) began with 12 ministries and funding organisations from 9 European countries in 2006. MARTEC quickly formed a strong network and has launched calls in 2008, 2009 and in 2010. So far applications for proposals have involved participants from 8 countries, and projects funded total about 14 million Euros. Given the success of the first phase, 30 ministries and funding organisations from 25 countries are involved in MARTEC II now.
MARTEC II will move from a basic understanding of each other’s procedures and priorities to real information exchange based on trust and actively looking to work with partners across national borders.
MARTEC II will:
- Broaden the geographical scope through the inclusion of new countries.
- Intensify cooperation by launching calls and joint programmes.
- Strengthen the dissemination of waterborne research results throughout Europe.
- The structuring of maritime research will be better coordinated through a programme database and research mapping.
- There will be information exchange and stronger cooperation between MARTEC and WATERBORNETP, other ERA-NETs (e.g. TRANSPORT II) as well as other initiatives, which is essential for future activities.
- MARTEC will also establish future structures for a sustainable network.